Friday, June 12, 2009

LOCK THE DOOR!!

I had a doctors appointment yesterday. And the first thing you do is go and check in. Then they like for you to go use the bathroom and leave them a fun little sample in a cup. (Which is very difficult for a very large pregnant woman to do!). Well, as I was walking to the bathroom, the door was closed, but it looked like the lights weren't on. So I slowly turned the door knob, and it just kept turning. So I proceeded to open the door, which then as the toilet came into view there was a lady sitting there and hunched over to hide what only her and her husband should ever see. She then says very loudly, "EXCUSE ME!!" Which I then quickly tried to close the door for her sake and mine. BUT, she had put her purse over the handle of the door, so when I was trying to close the door, of course the purse was stopping the door from closing all the way. So I had the door closed as much as I possibly could with the purse there, and then proceeded to push the purse back in and away while closing the door. During this time, the lady waddled up to the door and grabbed the door handle from inside and SLAMMED my hand in the door! (It was more of my palm, so it didn't hurt to terribly bad, but still a shocker.) Finally the door was closed and I walked back into the waiting room and found a seat.

(This is not what the door looked like, nor did it have that convenient 'Vacant' sign on it)
As I sat there, I thought how awkward it is going to be when she comes out. Well, she took another good while. As I was looking one way I noticed someone walking from the other direction and so naturally I looked to see if it was the lady or not. Well, it was. As I looked at her while she passed by to find a seat of her own, she rolls her eyes and gives quite the scowl and tells me, "WELL, GO AHEAD!" I just stood up calmly and walked into the bathroom with a smirk on my face thinking. "WELL, LOCK THE PICKIN' DOOR!" Some people! So as I am in the bathroom, I am thinking of how it is still going to be awkward and weird to go out there, because she will probably just sit there with that ugly scowl on her face and roll her eyes again at me. And who knows what she would say. Luckily as I walked out of the bathroom the Medical Assistant was ready for me, and then weighed me on the scale right there by the bathroom. So I was relieved that I wouldn't have to face that lady again. OH NO! As I am getting off the scale she is walking back with another Medical Assistant to come and get weighed. And OF COURSE she has one of her dirty looks for me. I was laughing inside about this and just could not believe this lady! So then we go into our room, and the assistant takes my blood pressure, and I told her the story. She had a good laugh about it as well, and couldn't believe this lady either. Then, when my doctor came in she asks, "Were you in a rush to get here or walking really fast to come in?" Which I replied, "No, why?" "Well, your blood pressure was a little high." Which then a huge smile came across my face and I said, "Well, it probably is due to the bathroom incident." Which I then proceeded to tell her the story. She then had my blood pressure checked again at the end of the appointment, and all is well. Lesson learned: Always make sure the door is locked, because it is no one elses fault except your own if someone opens the door on you while you are sitting there on your throne!

12 comments:

kate said...

awkward! but i admit, i have totally walked in on someone at the doctor's too. i have also had my children with me and had THEM open the door while i'm using the bathroom so everyone in the office could see me. i'm surprised the woman was so upset! because really, don't we check our privacy and sense of shame at the door when we go to the OB anyway?

Donene said...

That is pretty funny and I agree just lock the door!!

The Hulls said...

Ha ha!! That made me laugh! I think I would have been bugged...hello, lock the door! Too funny!

Em said...

That's awesome! I love that story!

Tiffany said...

That's so funny! When she scowled at you you should have told her that that's what locks are for!

Rachel said...

You should have said those things you were thinking to yourself......it would have made for good comedy!!

Chris and Suzette said...

HILARIOUS!!!

Jessica J. said...

DANG FUNNY.... ok, I would have died, but I also probably would have left the door wide open and told the lady she was an idiot..... no Mel, you handled it well- that is great!!!

Kelley Flint said...

That gave me a good laugh.

Mary Jones said...

I agree with Jess, you did handel it very well. I'm glad that you can laugh from it.

Mary Jones said...

spelt handle wrong, oops

Lori said...

I hope your hand is feeling better! Good luck these next couple of weeks, let me know where you guys end up moving to next.