Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Any suggestions?!

All right, so here is a questioin to anyone and everyone. First of all, Olivia is being a stinker! Her doctor told us not to start giving her foods until she was 6 months. I guess due to allergies and what not, to cut back on. (Livy isn't allergic to anything, this is told to all patients). But anyways, I started giving her some around 5 months of age, and she just was not getting it, and wouldn't open her mouth. This was kind of frustrating because she puts EVERYTHING in her mouth. Doens't matter what it is she'll grab it and then it is straight to her mouth. BUT, when I try to feed her good yummy oatmeal, she just sits there and won't open up! So the last 3 weeks, I have been faithfully feeding her to see if she just needed more practice or something, but we are getting NO where fast! I have even tried giving her some fruit, thinking that she would like the sweetness of those, but still a no-go. I started trying this trick that worked, and now does not, of flipping the spoon halfway in her mouth, and that would make her open up. SO, is she just not ready, is she just content with draining her mom dry! That is my other fear, she won't take a bottle, or binky. So if I go dry, what am I to do then!? My second question is of any tricks of getting a kid potty trained. Jaedon is content at wearing his diaper and sitting around in his own filth! He is doing the great sign of going into another room when he needs to do his #2 business. But if you ask him if he needs to go he says no. And then after when you ask him if he is poopy, he tells you no, but you know he is poopy from the green gas trail that is seeping out from behind him. We ask him all the time if he needs to go and if he wants to sit on the potty and it is always, NO! I wished we lived someone where he could just run around outside in the buff, and then just do his business when he needed to, then maybe he could get the hang of it that way, but I don't think that would fly with our neighbors. So any suggestions here?

9 comments:

Kelley Flint said...

So my sister-in-law wants to potty train my niece, and my mom kept hearing about this trick in Utah and just sent her one to try out. Here's the website to check out. www.pottytimeinc.com
One of my dad's friends used this and it's definitely working.
Here's the link to one of the news stories my mom read recently.
http://www.sltrib.com//ci_8433041?IADID=Search-www.sltrib.com-www.sltrib.com
Good luck!

clark said...

Hi Mel, just thought I'd let you know that we are in the same boat with Gage on the potty training. He will sit on the potty every once in awhile,but its only because Allie is potty trained and he gets a little jealous. However, I tried to potty train allie for months and it was a disaster, then one day she potty trained herself, so I'm hoping that the same thing will happen with gage. And as I type this, ALlie just informed me that she pee peed in her pantys. (so as you can tell I'm not a good one to give advice.) Good Luck

jenni said...

Gregg's mom (she had 3 boys) put a cheerio in the toilet and told the boys when she was trying to train them to try and "aim" for the center of the cheerio. It turned into a game and said it really worked for her! haha not sure about this!

Alyson said...

Sorry, I got nothin'. I've just heard that it's best not to push them. Just keep asking but don't force. He'll get his head wrapped around the idea soon enough.

Lisa said...

Melanie,
We started Gracie on baby food at about 5 months and it took her a few weeks to get the hang of it which was extremely frusturating. She is doing so much better now. She keep up with it. I did read though that besides breakfast, you should always feed them their veggies before the fruits or they will get to the point where they never want the veggies because the fruit is sweeter and they like it more. Gracie loves oatmeal with fruit mixed in like bananas and at first I started out with more fruit than bananas. It is so frusturating, but it will happen. I promise! I should sent you pics of her sweet potato goatee. Just lovely! As for potty training, my friend's little guy has to have a target so she started bringing in little tiny pebbles to put in the toiled or even floating a frozen pea and then would tell him to aim for it and it became a game for him and it worked like a charm. He calls it peepee on a wockie! Reward with something yummy everytime!

Rachel said...

Hey Mel! Sounds like fun times at the Bassett house. I will just tell you our experiences and what worked with us, so you can take it or leave it :) With eating, Ty wouldn't take a binky or a bottle either. I worked my entire schedule around when he was going to be hungry. Finally, around 7 months I decided to cut back and offer him a bottle for one feeding. He hated it at first and refused to eat (hard to imagine now!) and would just cry and scream, but if you are consistent and don't give in, they will get hungry enough and eat the bottle. It took about one week. The rest of the weaning went much quicker, because he actually started preferring the bottle and would eat more from it (at least I think, I can't really see or measure what I was feeding him!)

Now with the potty training, at about 2 1/2 we decided it was TIME! We knew that once we decided that it was time that we couldn't go back and had to be consistent with that decision, so that meant no more diapers. So I heard from a lady at work that this really worked for her.........let them run around naked. So I picked a time when I was going to be home for many days at a time and let kace go naked. That way he could see what he was doing. Luckily, for us he only peed on the carpet once, and the rest of the time on tile. As soon as he started peeing he would just stop and stare at the stream coming out of him, we would them grab him (this usually made him stop peeing) and took him to his little potty. With the #2 :) it was a little bit trickier, but you get the idea. Another idea I heard was to put "big kid" underpants on first and then the diaper because then they can feel the wetness or mess and don't like it, and the diaper will make it so you don't have a mess elsewhere. This was long sorry. :)

Rachel said...

That was long! you might get bored reading it!

Donene said...

Mel I think Livy will get it as soon as she is hungry enough. Have you tried to let her feed herself with something that she can pick up and put in her mouth? It will be messy but if she puts everything in her mouth maybe it would work.
As far as the potty training I would think that it would be easier with Jaedon because he hates messes. I think the advice that Rachel gave was good and maybe give him a chart so that he can get a star every time he accomplishes his task and when he gets so many stars, like 10, he can get a reward of a toy or something that he really wants. sometimes bibery works, you will just have to figure out what works for him.

kate said...

baby wagon wheels worked great for getting my girls to taste food and figure out there was more to life than milk. they come in a can on the baby food shelf and are big enough for babies to hold, too big to fit all the way in (no choking) and they just dissolve slowly. they have veggie and fruit flavors. i also would just hand them an apple slice to gnaw on while i watched closely. whatever works i guess! :) hope she figures out how great food is soon.