Wednesday, February 18, 2009

crafting bug

This last week I have had all these ideas for things to make. But they have turned out to be more of a headache at times rather than being peaceful, and enjoyable, and rewarding. First off, I made this tutu for a friend, and the waist turned out to be a little smaller than I wanted it to be. Hopefully it fits.

Second, I had this great idea of making these 'seek and find' toys. Well, these were the biggest headache of all! The plastic that I used kept sticking to the sewing machine, the sewing machine foot, and kept bunching up. Finally after many frustration attempts, I decided to grab the cooking spray, sprayed a little on my finger and wiped it under the foot, and WA-la! It worked like a charm. And I think I put in too much rice.

Third, I made this Boppy pillow cover. At first I borrowed a cover from a friend and traced that, and then cut it out. Then I found a pattern online, and well, they didn't really match up. So then I decided to just trace it right off of the pillow. Cutting out another pattern of fabric. Well, when I got all done, I found out that it was way too small and that my zipper that I used was pretty small as well. You need at least a 20 inch zipper. So then it was back to the first pattern that I had cut out and tried managing things from that one. Well, it fit, but it doesn't look too pretty. But I guess it does what it needs to do.

And then I had one more project that I want to do... reupholster our rocking chair cushions. But after all this, I think I am going to wait a bit until I attempt that great task.

6 comments:

kate said...

i think they turned out great! i really like the boppy cover. i am excited to see what you come up with for your rocker, because i have one i want to re-cover too! good work, mel!

jenni said...

Awesome! Do the kids like the I spy things? I have been pondering making Lilly one. What a great birthday gift that would make too! thanks for the tip about the cooking spray.

The Hulls said...

They all look like they turned out great!

Donene said...

Your projects look great! I think it would be fun to find the objects in the I spy rice. The boppy cover looks good, way to go Mel.

Natalie said...

wow when do you sleep? Those are great. I tried to make a blanket sleeper for Aaron and it is still half done because I messed up and need to pick it out and I have't gotten around to it. The boppy cover is a great idea. I have always just washed the whole boppy . The tutu is really cute any ballerina's dream. I know laura would love it.

Lisa said...

That is the cutest tutu I have ever seen! Gracie needs one soooo bad! I sure wish I was as crafty as you! I can't even sew on a button! I am so excited for tomorrow! Little Lisa will be here before you know it!