Monday, October 18, 2010

30, 5k, kitchen

This past Friday, the 15th, I celebrated the big 30! It has been great so far. Jon truly loves me! He got me this little baby...
We then finished putting up our tile for our back splash. (pictures at the end of the post). He then took me out to dinner, sushi! And we enjoyed a meal kid less. Then we picked up the kids and had some yummy ice cream cake. (Sadly, this is the only picture taken the whole day) Then on Saturday I rang in 30 with a bang by running a 5k with a time of 26:21. I came in 4th, and if I would have been just a minute faster I could have taken 3rd and won 50 bucks! (Yeah it wasn't a very big race) Remember this picture? This is the before. White plain porcelain tile, with old counter tops. Demo time! No back splash or counter tops. New countertops! I must take a moment and thank my dad for the example he has set. If you know my dad he is quite the handyman, Mr. fix-it, Jack of all trades kind of guy. I may have never helped him actually do some things while growing up, but I am definitely a very observant person and would watch the things he would do. I am so glad that I did, because it gave me hope in putting up the drywall and then tiling the back splash. Thanks dad, I was sure wishing you were here to help many times. :)
And the finished product!
We were pretty impressed with our "skills", and are happy the way it has turned out. Now trying to get the house put back together after the weeks of putting off cleaning.

9 comments:

kate said...

yay for great cameras! you will love it!! the kitchen looks amazing, and i am so impressed with your DIY tile job, awesome.

Amber said...

I LOVE the backsplash and counters. Your kitchen looks beautiful. Way to go! Also love the song playing on your blog - perfect timing!

The Hulls said...

Happy late birthday!! You did an awesome job on your kitchen!! It looks great! Love the new camera too! Oh, and great job on your race!!

Donene said...

Dad, says,"Mel you will have to teach me how to make a straight cut, mine are always crooked an don't fit well."
Way to go on the race! and I love Livy's picture with the cake. The kitchen looks totally awesome!!! I love it and you did an amazing job! Yes, Jon really loves you and the camera will be so great! Can't wait to see your awesome pictures!!

Lisa said...

Looks amazing!!!!!! Hope you had an amazing bday! You are so young! I hope you had some cake for me! When are you coming to Logan to visit? It has been way to long since I saw you last and I miss you!!

Rachel said...

Ooooooh! I LOVE IT! I am very impressed. I am also glad your dad is like that because it was a great example for Nate. My parents never changed ANYTHING for the 20 years I lived there and it wasn't until I married into your family that I convinced them and helped them paint!
Anyway, it looks great! Now onto the cake. Did Jon make that baby, or did he buy it? It looks SOOOO GOOD!

Unknown said...

Jon was the one who made all the cuts. I was the one who put them on the wall.

Jon did not make the cake, but I am sure he probably could have. We got it at Cold Stone. My fav!

And Lisa, we will probably just be visiting in the summers. :(

Kelley Flint said...

It looks so awesome. I'm so happy for you guys. And sounds like a great birthday. Miss you guys.

Jessica J. said...

Oh man Mel it looks great! I must admit that I thought the picture with a 'purple' backsplash was the final for a second and I about fell off my chair- seriously, Mel has better taste than that right...

turns out you do... thank heavens!