Tuesday, December 4, 2007

A thought to live by

My visiting teachers came by this morning and shared the months message of charity. And I thought how I should be more "loving" in the acts of service and things that I do for others, rather than doing it because that is what I should do. But after they left, Jaedon and I were watching Hook and Olivia was sleeping, but I grabbed the November Ensign to read one of the conference talks out of there, and the one that I read was Elder Joseph B. Worthlin's, The Great Commandment. I don't know if any remember him giving this talk, and it was a Saturday talk, but he began shaking very badly, so, sad to say, I wasn't paying much attention to what he was saying but had more of a mind set on his bodily movements. But I just loved his talk!! He too talks about charity and the pure love of Christ and how we all must possess that quality and how wonderful our lives will be if we do. The greatest part though was, he was quoting Paul, and this is what it says, "Nothing you do makes much of a difference if you do not have charity. You can speak with tongues, have the gift of prophecy, understand all mysteries, and possess all knowledge; even if you have the faith to move mountains, without charity it won't profit you at all." And then at the end of his talk he states, "Love is the greatest of all the commandments-all others hang upon it. It is our focus as followers of the living Christ. It is the one trait that, if developed, will most improve our lives." That was such a powerful and profound message to me today, and made me realize that I need to have charity, rather than go through the motions, so-to-speak. So if you haven't read it yet, I highly recommend doing so!

4 comments:

Kelley Flint said...

I love that talk. I think it is my favorite from this past conference. What a great message.

kate said...

hey melanie! i just stumbled on your blog through tia's. what a cute family you have! your little boy looks just how i remember your little brothers looking. we miss the Jones' family living in the valley! hope you're doing great.

:) kate hale wilson

Lisa said...

I too was more focused on him shaking than what he was saying. You have inspired me to pull out the Ensign and read his talk! Thanks Mel!

Donene said...

I will have to read the talk as well because I remember watching Elder Russell Nelson and how kind he was to help his fellow brother, It made me cry to see how dedicated
Elder Worthlin was to finish his talk.