Tuesday, May 27, 2008

OH, the holidays!

Why does it seem like whenever there is a holiday we always try to cram everything into it, and it always seems like nothing goes right? Well, that wasn't really the case for us. We didn't really do anything spectacular or exciting, but just kind of relaxed and hung out at home since Jon was studying all day. We did go to Founder's Park though and played for about an hour, but the rest of the day was spent at home figuring out and finding ways to be creative to pass the time.
We spent some time in Jaedon and Olivia's room playing with toys and trying on sunglasses. It was such a beautiful day also that we put some water in the turtle and splashed around. Jaedon loved shoveling the water, or more like flinging, the water out of the turtle. Livy is quite our water baby. She LOVES taking a bath and always tries to get back in after she is done and dressed in her jammies. So she was in heaven in the turtle. She just sucked on all the toys and splashed to her little hearts content.
The best part though was probably when we were having Family Home Evening. Jon made orange julius's one FHE, and Jaedon fell in love with them, so most FHE's we have orange julius's for our treat. We hadn't had them for awhile, so last night we thought it would be a good idea to make some. So Jon and Jaedon get all the ingredients in the blender and I just happened to walk into the kitchen right before they were getting ready to push the button. And when I looked at the blender, and it seemed a little wobbly, so I asked Jon if it was on right. Jon assured me that it was, and then Jaedon pushed the button. The motor and blades started making a horrible noise, and then smoke started coming out from the bottom!! You would think too, that as soon as it started making the noise you would shut it off, but it took a good while for the smoke to be showing and almost in flames, and some shouting of "SHUT IT OFF!!", before it was shut off. Surprisingly though, we both just kind of laughed at the matter, and Jon said he was kind of happy, because he hated that cheap blender. Oh well, we know what Jon is getting for Father's Day! The story isn't done yet though..., oh no, there is more. So we didn't want to disappoint Jaedon, so we thought, "well why not try it in the food processor?" Well, long story short, we found out that a food processor doesn't do well with just liquid! We had orange julius EVERYWHERE!! And even then we were both just laughing at how the day had gone, and this was just the topping on the cake. :)

(Wow, I am sorry for the slideshows just repeating themselves. I wonder if I have the pictures too big or maybe too many slide shows going. But either way, it is ticking me off!! So just hang in there and you will be able to see all of the slideshow at one point or another ;) )

On a side note, I still had material left over from when I made Livy's ladybug blanket, so I made a pillow case and a decorative pillow.
Olivia is growing up way too fast. When we left to Utah she really started "crawling" and not her army crawl. Well, while at Jon's parents, May 7th and 8th, Jon looked over and Livy was hanging onto dear life to a rocking chair that she managed to get halfway up. Then the next day she crawled over to a footstool, and unsteadily managed to stand up! We couldn't believe her. Well, ever since then it seems like all she wants to do is be standing up, and would rather do that then crawl. She is getting a lot better, but still hasn't figured out how to get back down once she is up, so she will sit there and whine and cry until you help her. It just amazes me how quickly and determined she is to do things. It is interesting to see how different Jaedon and Livy have been.

7 comments:

Rachel said...

I used to LOVE orange julius when I was a kid! I think we will make that tonight! We will be careful with our blender though (it is a cheap one too!)
love the pics of the kids in their sunglasses.

Claudia said...

What a funny story that was Melanie! Just chuckled visualizing it all! Can't believe you were in swimsuits! We were "chillin" in Logan and I do mean chillin! Loved your blanket you made. Very, very cute! One question. Is it possible to get on to your photo bucket so I can print out some photos of the little ones? Phil needs some updated photos for his place. Gracias and have a great evening!

Claudia said...

Loved the pictures and stories. Livy is really getting brave -- won't be long before she masters falling to her bum! They are such cute kids. Miss 'em so.
Scott

Donene said...

Livy is doig so well and at least she is learning not to fall backwards and she is staying up on her feet, her legs are going to be strong because she doesn't go back down. The sunglasses are cute and so how did the orange julius's taste, I bet they were still good.

Liz Szilagyi said...

Livy is getting so big! I can't believe it. Those two kids of yours are just the best of friends.

kate said...

your kids are so cute! and i love the blanket and pillows you made, good work! i always think of home ec at snowcrest whenever we make julius. hope you find a good new blender!

Claudia said...

Watched the slide show again and loved it just as much or more third time around. Jaedon and Livvy look so cute in the sunglasses and it is so great to watch their interaction one with another. Jaedon LOVES his little sis!! It is wonderful to watch him interact with her. Claudia