Wednesday, March 25, 2009

pet-peeve

Warning: This post may be offensive to others. But this is how I feel and need to get it off my chest, in some way or another. And if you are offended, I am sorry, but remember this is just how I feel.

So this is probably the number 1, top pet-peeve of mine. CUSSING, CURSING, SWEARING!! But before you start making any assumption of me, and thinking I am "Molly Mormon", "Miss Goody two shoes" (Thanks mom), or holier than though... read on to find out why.
It is mainly when Mormon, LDS members do it. To me, they know better! And why say those offensive words in the first place? I understand being upset and frustrated with something, and a couple of little curse words fly here and there. But in your everyday casual conversation, throwing in a cuss word here and there... WHY? Did it make you feel that much better? Did it make the conversation that much more interesting? Or do you think to yourself, "Why did I say it that way?" Because probably the person you are talking to didn't appreciate it, and it made them cringe from head to toe just hearing it, or reading it!
I am not perfect, and please don't get that from this post. I have said many a cuss words in my day, (mainly in my younger, immature days). And only now (in mature days :D) when I completely lose it, and am frustrated like NO other. Which I would have to say is not too often.
I guess it just bothers me because I know that they know better. And there are definitely some more creative and funner ways out there to say something than using a cuss word! And also being a mom now, I don't want my kids exposed to "good" people that use curse words so carefree. Because then why can't they say them if so-and-so does? And of course being exposed to curse words in general.
All right. I am finished. Just something that I don't really understand why people do some things they do sometimes.

6 comments:

Liz Szilagyi said...

Your #1 pet peeve huh? That must mean it really bugs you. There are really only two curse words that really get under my skin. Actually, I consider a lot of non-curse words way more offensive. Don't you just wish we could have a bleep button in our heads, and your kids heads to keep out all those bad words?

One thing, about the farm Jon grew up on . . . I wouldn't really consider that one an LDS or Mormon farm, at least not back then, Howard's changed his ways since.

Rose said...

I agree completely. But worse than that is when they add curse words, namely, the "F" word, to get an R rating on a movie that would be delightful and full for all ages. I am not a prude. I can ignore almost anything and forget it a few minuites later, but why ruin a movie.

Donene said...

Mel not to criticize but I think you meant " Miss goody two shoes" not "tissues". Okay, I agree I don't like to hear words that are offensive either and it really makes me cringe to hear them but the one that really turns me off completely is using the Lord;s name in vain and how people on TV use it to express how great something is or when they are surprised or something. I can't think of anything that makes me cringe more.

Chris and Suzette said...

I totally agree!

Claudia said...

Oops! Sorry for teaching Jon all those bad words, Mel. I can certainly be a potty mouth as yo uprobably know already. By the way Liz, Uncle Howard's vocabulary hasn't changed at all through the years. He can still outdo me!
I am really trying not to swear when I'm outside in town! I guess the neighbors are more of a threat than Heavenly Father. I think there is something wrong with that rationale.
Later,
Definitely NOT Mr. Goody Two Shoes and NOT so proud of it!!

Claudia said...

So sorry Mel for the use of a cuss word I will watch more closely what I say. Claudia