
Today I ran my very first 5K. After the race, if asked if I would do it again..., probably not! But in all honesty I would do it again. I am convinced that my body is NOT built for long distance running. I am a sprinter! But I did have a pretty good "kick" at the end, which makes me think that I should have started my kick a little sooner, or gave a little more during the race. But this makes me really scared for the triathlon in October. But I think I did considerably well. I ran it in 27:25. The guy that came in first ran it in 14 minutes!! I am not sure what the first girl was though, but I think she was pretty close behind, because she was dressed in one of those Olympic 2 piece things, that looks like you are wearing a swimming suit. The worst part of the race though was probably when I only had less than a mile to go and this lady passed me. She was probably late 30's, but she was pushing a stroller. Not that big of a deal. A couple of guys had passed me around the same time a little earlier and they were pushing strollers, BUT, (yes there is a but). She wasn't pushing ANY stroller, it was a TRIPLE DECKER stroller!!! That was quite the slap in the face.
But I have the most wonderful supporter. No not my sports bra... My husband! He always reminds me that most of these people have trained for years and much, much longer than my little short couple of months training. This race though has opened my eyes and made me realize that I need to step up my work-outs BIG time!! I need to also eat a lot better too. But I think after this triathlon, I will probably just stick with 5K's.
And I know you all have been waiting for this. Canned peaches!! It went all right but I think I am done canning for the season now. We ended up making 36 bottles, with a huge bowl left over. (I all ready had made one emergency trip to the store to get another thing of bottles, and wasn't about to go again.) Amazingly everyone of them sealed! I ended up getting a water bath as an early birthday present, and I will say that I wish I would have gotten a steamer now. The water bath takes a long time. We haven't tried them yet either, so who knows if it was THAT successful of a first time for canning peaches. Regardless, they look pretty..., I guess.




13 comments:
YUM!!
That is a great time! As I am eating this blasted ice cream I KNOW I need to start eating better too and pushing myself more. I don't feel as good as I used to and feel like I am slowing down. DEPRESSING! :)
wow, that is awesome! I saw Chrissy after the run, I didn't know you ran it too. So great for you! I bet Jaedon was cheering you on like crazy!
You stole my thoughts, "my body is not made for distance running." I did a little half triathlon today. 16 lengths in the pool, 6.2 miles on the bike (and I was making good timing might I add) and then I hit the run . . . I couldn't do it. I had to walk half of it. I was so disappointed. But I have a 5K in two weeks so we'll see how it goes.
Mel, I can't beleive you didn't say something to me when I called you yesterday? I totally forgot what day it was. Way to go and yes I am sorry to say I am not a long distance runner either. Dad would run the long distance in junior high but all the rest of us are sprinters. You look great and way to go with the peaches they look delicious and will taste so good in the middle of winter.
way to go mel! as i was watching the olympics i was telling caleb about snowcrest's awesome 4 x 1 medley team that always won district and set records, and of which you were always a member. you definitely have always been a speedster! and those peaches look soooo good!
AWESOME (the race and the peaches)!!!
You are so awesome. I think it's so cool you're training for a triathlon. And the peaches sure look yummy.
Blue Ribbon County Fair Peaches! Blue ribbon heck, purple best of show! Claudia
I am so proud of you Mel.I can't even run to the mailbox. I having been thinking of training for a 5k, but I am scared out of my mind to do one. You are awesome.
Congrats Mel on the 5K. You did amazing..27 minutes...faster than me!
Bet you slept great that night!
Congrats Mel and you look amazing!!!!!!!! I hope I get to do a 5k someday, but not anytime soon lol!
You go girl! Congratulations on the 5K and the peaches!
Post a Comment