Thursday, August 14, 2008

latest obsession

I used to hate canning growing up. My mom did quite a bit of it, and it seemed at times, if you could grow it, she would can it. All us kids would try and be "doing something else", so we wouldn't have to help. I did really like doing the apricots though, and making nectar, because the grinder, when the skins would come out, (this may be inappropriate), but it would look like poop! So then us kids would try and see who could get the longest one! :) ahhhh...the memories. Anyways, now that I am "old"er, there is some kind of weird satisfaction in doing it. In July I did some apricot jam, which turned out fabulous, and on Monday I did some salsa. I must add these were all Relief Society Enrichment activities. But then yesterday I decided to do another batch of salsa all by myself. My next thing to can is peaches. That is probably my favorite thing to eat that is canned. But now I am trying to find all the supplies to can, which will probably be a birthday or Christmas present. And I am not sure if I should get a steamer or a water bath.

10 comments:

Liz Szilagyi said...

Mmm, nothing tastes as good as canned jams. And I love Peaches too. That's funny that you guys didn't like to help your mom. I loved it when Mom canned -- but you know Claudia -- we were not allowed to help! Her way or the highway! I don't event think we were allowed in the kitchen, we just got in the way and annoyed her. Ha! We did get to go pick corn though, and I remember shucking it for hours in the back of our truck with Dad, while Mom was inside cleaning I'm sure. Hi Mom! Hope you enjoyed reading this comment. And it's all true, no matter what you say.

jenni said...

I have been enjoying canning too! I just did some peaches and I just want to open them up so bad! I got a water bath at walmart with a rack for 18 bucks which seemed like a good deal to me.

Susan said...

Mmmm I LOVE canned Salsa! I need to learn how to make it. Hope you guys are well!

Rachel said...

I would 'disappear' too when my mom canned. There is some satisfaction though in looking at all the finished work (now that is, not then!)

Donene said...

Mel, I am so glad to hear that you get satisfaction from doing canning. Now you can see why I did it too. Their is something about seeing all of those shining bottles sitting on your shelf. Then to eat them in the winter is Heavenly. I wish you lived closer I would give you some of my extra bottles. I don't seem to do as much as I used to, mainly because there is not as many people here to eat it. I will have to make some more peach jam though, Dad just loves it and eats a bottle at a time. He loved your apricot jam that you brought too.

Merced said...

It was great to see you in Utah! I hope to have a small peach and apricot orchard one day, so I can can too. I had a water bath canner and I like it. When I used to be a good wife, I canned peaches and pears, but I gave all my canning stuff away before we moved across the country. So good luck with your canning, I wish I could have a free sample!

Claudia said...

Just one question... Why do they call it canning when you're really bottling? I think my mom actually referred to it as "bottling peaches." I've forgotten though -- too bad she isn't around anymore to ask...
Whether it's canned or bottled, it sure looks great, Mel. Congratulations on your newfound art. I'm impressed.
Scott

kate said...

ooh, i need to learn how to do that. i'm starting to get a bit obsessed with food storage but not sure where to start. i may be emailing you for some recipes! way to go on having such good skills!

Claudia said...

Your salsa is beautiful Melanie and yes it is very satisfying to see the finished product! If you are able to get concord grapes have Jon buy you a steamer. It is easy to do and tastes so wonderful! Happy canning! And, Lizzy if you love it so much why aren't you doing it now that you have your very own kitchen to do it in?!!!

Josie said...

Good for you Mel! I have made raspberry jam and given it for neighbor gifts for Christmas the last couple years, my friends love it! It's a great idea. I remember eating dried apples at your house back it the day, those were so good!