
So Jon was getting the kids fed and ready for church, while I was "taking" my time. And finally he came in to see what was going on, and his reaction was priceless. He just stood there poking his head around the door with a huge smile on his face, but at the same time a look of "you are crazy!" There was some silence for quite a while, and then he finally said, "You sure are spontaneous!" Yes, yes I am.
Then when people comment on my hair, or "bangs", I just laugh at them. (They are good comments, but I laugh because I know the history behind them). But then my laughter usually makes them wonder why I am laughing, so I have to explain the whole ordeal to them.
So onto the craft portion that I mentioned earlier. I got many comments from Livy's costume that I should sell those and go into the business. So this may have just fed and started the desire, but I thought, "Hey, I totally could do this." So I have been looking into selling some stuff, and I have been making things, but most of them are for presents, and to give people an idea. So here is a question to all of you out there: Would you buy this!? And what would you pay for it?
Would buy a knotted tutu? or would you rather have one that is sewn?
I am going to put bows on the sleeves for the ladybug, just haven't gotten to it yet. And of course a red and black tutu to go with.
I thought this could be for a girl or boy. Of course for a girl I would put bows on the sleeve and make a brown and white tutu. But Jon told me it looks too masculine. What do you think? I am actually doing a onesies right now with pink cowgirl boots, and a pink and white tutu. I will have to add it here tomorrow.
For the onesies, I am thinking like 8-9 dollars, and the tutu's around 15-20 dollars. The bows I haven't really calculated out, but probably around $3-5.
I get so gun-ho some days about doing it, and then other days, I think, "Will people actually buy this? Will I make money?, Or just have to give stuff away as presents?" So you can see my dilemma. Which is why I am asking you, if you would buy it and would you spend the money for it. Of course on the onesies, I could do any animal, bug, monster, reptile..., you get the point. But I am also going to do some applique ones, which I just bought some material for and think they will be very cute. Those ones, may have to be a little more though. But not too much. So, am I crazy for thinking and wanting to start this kind of thing up? :) I know a lot of questions, but any suggestions are welcomed.




15 comments:
You are too creative, girl. I am impressed. Cute stuff.
Scott
from one self bang cutter to another: good job! And as for your business inquirees, I'd take a look at similar stuff on etsy and see what they're running for. but you've probably already done that...
wow exciting!! Very cute! I have seen onesies go from $8-20. I love the cowboy hat, make it pink or purple for a girl.
Everyday I think, who do I think I am with an Etsy shop? I think it is totally normal to second guess. My thinking that is I love crafting, so why not try to pay for the habit?
We will have to talk because there is some good stuff I have learned along the way. I have a friend that is starting an Etsy shop in December and am trying to compile a list of things that I have learned that works or not for her and will definately share. I have so much to learn though, so we will have to share along the way!
Okay crafty woman, I am very impressed and I remember thinking why would anyone want to buy anything that I made but the only way to find out is to try. Get some advice from some etsy shop people and then just start it up and see what happens. I would definitely buy some of your cute items and as far as price see if you can look around and see what others are selling similar things for. Price is funny because you can ask whatever you want but it really is not worth anything until you sell one and see what people are willing to pay.
Okay crafty woman, I am very impressed and I remember thinking why would anyone want to buy anything that I made but the only way to find out is to try. Get some advice from some etsy shop people and then just start it up and see what happens. I would definitely buy some of your cute items and as far as price see if you can look around and see what others are selling similar things for. Price is funny because you can ask whatever you want but it really is not worth anything until you sell one and see what people are willing to pay.
oops it got on there twice!
Ok Mel, this is going to be a long comment because I am so impressed. As soon as I read this post I immediately picked up my phone to call you, but I don't have your number (I lost my old phone with it in it)Anywho, WOW, I love, love the bangs. They really do look so good. I did the bang thing too, needed a change. Love them.
Ok, now on to the clothes! I am your first customer. I LOVE all your stuff!! I was in Einsteins the other day and there was a girl that had a white shirt on with a big navy bow. I walked over and asked her mom where she got it I loved it so much, just like the purple one in the picture!! I LOVE the cowboy hat one. Bent has some cowboy boots that would look so cute with it. I would like to purchase a white onesie with a navy boy on the front, a tutu to go with it, the brown cowboy hat one and the brown tutu. I know Bent would attempt to pull the bows off the sleeves, so I would not do those for her, but I think they are darling (maybe this should be an email)! I would definitly look into opening an etsy shop. I know people would buy these!!
Anyhow, I will find your number and call you too, but I am VERY interested in placing an order!!
oh, and one other thing. I got a white onesie with a giraffe applique for Bent when she was born. I LOVED IT! It was $30!!!! Can you beleive that? I would like some of those too to wear with BabyLegs.
the bangs look so great! and you could definitely sell your cute creations. i felt the same when i started my little etsy shop, but people bought things. crazy! i bought a onsie/knotted tutu/bow combo on etsy for $20, and it wasn't as cute as any of yours. you could sell a tutu, onsie, and bow combo for $30 for sure. i really enjoyed doing etsy but did begin to feel it was taking too much time and i'd rather just make things to give as gifts for a while. however, if you can be good at doing it only when you want to (not feeling pressured) then etsy can be a great creative outlet and a fun way to make a few bucks. you have a creative eye and a gifted hand for sure, and i think you'd do really well! and when you've got the bug, you just have to go for it!
Love all your new products! What is your shop name going to be called? I love to look at etsy also. Someone gave me a onesie that was dyed and had a fabric square sewed on the front, so you might try dying some onsies to add color. I know that is a whole new project though. When I have designed wedding announcements for customers I compare prices, and I make sure my time is paid for as well.
I too, have found myself with the craft bug. I think it stems from the change in weather and also, for most of our lives we would be keeping busy by going to school at this time of the year! Keep up the great work!
The bangs look wonderful and yes I do think you could sell your items. I am sure it will be a learning process, but you will never know unless you try. I think the items are adorable and affordable. I'll be your first customer and buy for my two adorable grandaughters! And, yes I love the cowboy hat and do not think it is too masculine. Where was your hubby raised? In the city! Love ya Jon! Love ya all Mom
And, one more comment. A lady I work with brought baby hair bows to school, they were very cute, and ranged in price 5 to 6 dollars.
Oh and I like your bangs too, they look good on you!
Mel you are cracking me up! I can't believe you cut your own bangs. They look good! Way to go on making all the cute stuff, I don't know how you find the time. I can't wait for you to see Madi's lady bug cosutme! And I hope your "mid life crisis" is NOT a mid life crisis. You definitely should not be 1/2 way through yet! You've got plenty of time before even 30!
Mel- I bought my tied tutu on etsy for 18.95 and the shipping was 3 or 4 dollars. It was a great deal...and she added stuff that I requested. I think that price was completely fair. A friend told me that when her friend started on etsy, she emailed all her family and friends and told them about her launch. You could email everyone you know and have them spread the word. Good luck! Your stuff is darling!
Hey, just wanted to let you know that I saw some tutus similar to yours at a spa in Lindon, Utah, weird place I know, anyway they were priced at $29.95. They looked more the red and black one, I think anyhow, just thought you might be interested.
Post a Comment