Well, before I begin, I have to tell you this big long story about why I wanted Livy to be a ladybug. Old Navy always has pretty cute Halloween costumes, and they are usually the warm fleece kind. (Because it gets pretty cold around Halloween time out here, so I like to get those kind.) So last year we had all ready bought Livy's costume, the pumpkin, but we went back to Old Navy, close around Halloween, and all the costumes were on sale for a super deal. I tried to talk Jon into letting me buy one for Livy, for next year. And if you all know Jon he always tries to bring me back to reality and says, "They always have the same costumes every year, and we can just get it next year, because who knows how big Livy will be in a year from now." So of course we didn't get it.
So I have had my hopes up all year that Livy will be a ladybug. Well, I went into Old Navy and no ladybugs..., any where! So my dreams were crushed...and I was cursing Jon. Until I thought, well maybe it's not in the stores, but maybe online. I get onto their website and they have the ladybug costume! But of course not in Livy's size, or even close to her size. And I even then decided that I didn't really like that ladybug one as much any more. So the saga continues. I then start googling, and searching for ladybug costumes, infant ladybug costumes, toddler ladybug costumes..., you name it. I couldn't really find anything I liked, and of course, that was around a reasonable price.
Well, one night I couldn't fall asleep and Jon had left the computer on, and so I thought I would try my luck at searching for some kind of ladybug costume...again, because I actually did find one that I kind of liked, but it would have been a bit cold and would just get covered up by a coat anyways. But again I was REALLY set on Livy being a ladybug. So I searched and I am not sure what I put in the search bar on eBay, but I came across this CUTE outfit for a ladybug. But of course the ladies price was way out of what I would pay, but I thought, "Hey, I could totally do that!" It was a tutu, with a onesie. The onesie had a ladybug on it, and then cute ribbons on the sleeves, (and of course they were short sleeve). I also had seen a tutorial on my friends blog about a "no sew" tutu. So to get on with the story and finish it up. I decided I would make it!!
Michael's had little fairy wings for only 2.99 and then I just got red spray paint and painted it red. Then I got a cup and drew circles over it, and then colored them in with black tole paint.
For the tutu here is the tutorial:






22 comments:
I LOVE it!!! How easy was that tutu?? I always thought they would be harder to make. Does Livy like it?
so so cute! You did a great job.
Mel, I am super impressed! Way to go! She is going to be so cute.
That is adorable! and I am way impressed with your cute creativity!! I love homemade costumes they are always so cute. You feel such an accomplishment when you are finished. Make sure and take lots of pictures she is going to be so cute!!!
Kate's going to be a ladybug too - but I think yours turned out way cuter! I just made a little skirt to go with borrowed wings and antenna. Livy is going to look so cute!
soooo darling mel! good job!
Wow Mel! I am so impressed! Very cute! Can't wait to see pics of her wearing it! I wish I was more creative like that!
Mel that costume is absolutely darling! Good work on that one, she will be a cute lil ladybug..Good Job on the tri too, that's awesome that you did that!! I can barely run to 1st base!
Mel, From one who does not touch a sewing machine I am sooooo impressed!!! You did a fantastic job and it is absolutely darling! Can't wait to see it on little miss Livy! It really is very cute and such an accomplishment!
I think should have put livy in the costume to post!!
I LOVE the tutu, but mostly LOVE the barrettes. TOO CUTE!
You are very talented
Wow! I'm super impressed. I love it!
That is so stinkin' cute!
Mel,
I must say...well I don't know what to say. I am speechless! You are so talented and so creative. I love, love this costume and it means so much more that is homemade with love. I love the no sew tutu idea. Can I buy that little from you? Would it fit Bent?
Bentley is wearing the same type of thing for Halloween, but green and orange as a pumkpin!!
SURE!! I have been looking for an excuse to make some more! I loved making them, they were so fun.
Oh my goodness! You should go into the costume-making business!! Very cute!
I can't believe you made that! It is soooo cute and much cuter than any costume I have ever seen in a store or online! I can't wait to see her in it! Too bad we don't live closer so you could make Gracie one too!
Mel that costume is so adorable. I think I might just have to copy you on that idea.... except I think I am going to do a bumble bee for Mayce. I will post pictures on how it turns out. Hopefully it will be as cute as your little lady bug!
Happy Birthday Mel, it's your birthday, it's your birthday!! Hope you have a great day!
Becca, I had the same idea thinking how cute that would be and then I thought of a green grasshopper and of course a butterfly, Mel you should go in the businees making all sorts of cute little bugs!! You could call it "Quit Bugging Me."
So cute. I'm so impressed. She's going to be the cutest ladybug ever.
MEL!! It is your birthday, SHOUT HOORAY!!
Take a quick peek at my blog!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MEL!! I hope you have a great day and do something special. love you lots :)
Ok, so Jana Neilson came over and got into your blog to show me the costume you described to me on Saturday . . . DARLING!! You did such a great job! By far the cutest little ladybug costume I have ever seen! Wish I had known about these tutus for my girls costumes last year!
Hope you don't mind me breakin' into your blog :)
P.S. Nice little tutorial you did as well.
Suzette
Post a Comment