Saturday, October 4, 2008

I'm a survivor...of a tri

Well, I did it. I can officially say that I have done a triathlon. Liz (Jon's sister), asked me after the race if I would do it again, and I told her, I don't think so. But now that I have caught my breath, my muscles have stopped aching, and I can think clearly. I think I would do it again!

The only things I would change next time though, are spending more time on the bike, doing more "brick" workouts (where you do 2 of the events for your workout, for example, swim and bike, bike and run etc.), wearnig spandex shorts (because I got some wicked chafing between my legs!), and the next would be to do one closer. I appreciate Liz letting us stay the night so we didn't have to make the huge trip all in one morning..., but NONE of us slept well. Jaedon was too excited to be sleeping over at Ben and Liz's. Livy was freaking out every time we laid her down, and I got way too cold during the night and kept waking up to everything that my kids would do. Then of course I was so nervous that I couldn't really eat very much that morning.
But overall I think it went really well. We got there and checked in and got our bodies painted up and threw on our free yellow swim caps and goggles and hopped into the water. The buoy's looked SO far away and made the swim look SO long. But it wasn't too bad because it is a heated lake, and the temp was 74 degrees. But you would get hit every once and awhile, and I think I gave a good shot to some guys "goods" at one point too.
Then out of the murky water, that you couldn't see a dang thing in, and onto the bike. There wasn't any really steep hills, but it was definitely "hilly", but with gradual inclines, which almost made it seem worse sometimes.
Hopped off the bike and then onto the last event, the run. The whole first part was pretty much up hill. It was gruesome. I did feel like I didn't have anything else to give at the end though, and that is what I wanted. I didn't want to feel like I still could have given it that much more, and then regret it.
I finished in 162th place (for the women, but there was a total of 800 participants all together), and had an overall time of 1:41:30. Which is just what I was shooting for...under an hour and forty-five minutes. You can check out the results for the women at this website and see all the rankings: http://www.setupevents.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=event_results&id=1094

16 comments:

jenni said...

wow! congrats! You should definately strut around those number legs! a point of honor for sure!

Hansen Family said...

A BIG congrats Mel!!!! That looks tough great time!!!

Jon said...

Not only were you the greatest triathlete out there, you were also the best looking! You did a great job and we are all very proud of you. You're the best wife and mother and we had a blast cheering you on.

Josie said...

Mel!
You are nuts! Ok, I should just say AMAZING! I can't believe you did that! WOW! I am such a wimp! Way to go!

Amber said...

Yay Mel! You are one buff lady! Let me know about the next one you do - if I'm not pregnant I'd love to do it with you ;)

Donene said...

You're awesome Mel and I knew you had it in you, you have always been so competitive and because you had a personal best, you are the winner!! We love you!

Jana said...

Congratulation! You are super fantastic. I am so proud of you!!!

Jessica J. said...

Melanie, this is the male gendered part of your parents. I'm just using Mom's site. First, I'm amazed that you swam so far. Swimming isn't that easy if you have a far ways to go. You'll have to send me an email on the distances. Ya, I know, if I was more informed I would know what a "Tri" consisted of, but I don't, so tell me what distance each leg was. Also, is that your gear and bike? Or did you borrow other people's stuff? Why did they write on your knees? In case you lost your clothes or something?
the other mystery to me is the statement that the lake was "heated". Do you have any idea how much energy would be required to elevate the temperature of that much water just one degree abouve ambient? I'm just dumb founded that any government would be willing to put that much cost into energy to warm a lake that size. Well, I better stope here. But your my hero. I get to go play five or six games of basketball down at the Huntsmen Senior Games in the 50-54 bracket next week, so I'll let you know how that goes. But you have greatly inspired me.

Claudia said...

Way to go Mel we are proud of you!! I am just curious tho, what if someone got cramps in the lake? What is the possibility of drowning? Leave it to me to think of that! Sounds like it was a great family day with Jon and kids cheering on their mom and wife! Liz asking if you would do it again right after the triathalon is like asking a woman who has just given birth if she wants another baby! Give it a day and the answer definitely changes.

Becka and Bennett said...

Great Job Mel! Major accomplishment! You should feel proud!

Kelley Flint said...

Congrats Mel. That's so awesome. I'm so impressed and inspired.

Susan said...

Wow, good job! You made it sound like it could actually be a fun thing! Who knew??

Rachel said...

WAHOO!! You inspired me to run this morning ( and now I feel better).....Nate says that you are awesome. He also wants to know when Jon is going to do it with you? :)

Tam said...

holy toledo! i didn't know you were into these. how do you find the time, energy, and discipline to train with two little kids and a husband that's gone so much?
you are very brave and tough. way to go, you rock!

Lisa said...

You truly are my inspiration Mel! Way to go!

Kellie Jean said...

Um you are amazing!